The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Off She Goes

I want to share something pretty amazing with you all.

Once in a while I mention my little sister Katy, who's currently working on making it big as an actress down in L.A. I doubt I've ever had occasion to mention it before, but Katy was born with legs that end at her knees. This condition doesn't cause her any pain or discomfort, she simply has no lower legs. In a strange way it feels odd to talk about, not because Katy or anyone else is embarrassed by her situation but because no one in my family feels there's anything unusual about her. It's simply the way she is. And certainly, she's never let the fact that she has no lower legs keep her from doing or being anything she wants. She graduated from Webster University in St. Louis as a Drama major a few years back, and spent time working at the prestigious Goodman Theater in Chicago before moving out to L.A. a couple of years ago to see what she could make of things.

If you just saw her walking down the street, you'd never know that there was anything unusual about her aside from the fact that she is a tall, somewhat striking redhead. This is because she walks on prosthetic legs that look very realistic. Unfortunately they are somewhat cumbersome and she cannot move faster than a walking pace. Until now, that is.

My father recently sent me the picture below. It's a still from a video of Katy trying out a new pair of running legs. You can't tell very well from the picture, but these new legs are bent forward in a sort of "L" shape and are quite springy, allowing her to run at a very considerable clip. As far as I know the picture below is the first time she has ever been able to run at a full pace on prosthetics. Quite wonderful, really.


She's currently training for her first 5K run. She's an amazing young woman.

I tell you all this not just because I'm proud of her beyond words (which I am, of course), but also because I think I'm going to have even bigger news relating to Katy in the near future, and I don't want it to come out of left field. I can't say anything now, and I may not be able to for a while, but I feel confident in telling you that wonderful things will be happening for her in the future. Please stay tuned.

5 Comments:

Blogger sugafree9 said...

Now I'm feeling all inferior and stuff.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, makes me feel rather lazy and inadequate. But that's a good thing. I have a rather inspirational relative as well and I find its a wonderful thing to be surrounded by someone so determined and so amazing.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out, Pat!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katy kicks butt.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

That really is cool. As someone who has competed in races and stuff, I can say it's brutal and hard work. Good luck to Katy and may she continue to work toward every goal she has.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home