The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Monday, May 09, 2005

Enough Is Enough

I don't know what to make of this weather. The high today is supposed to be only 53 degrees, and there are rumors of snow on the valley floor tonight.

This has been one of the most depressing Springs in Northern Nevada that anyone can remember. The pattern has been repeating itself for what seems like an eternity; gray skies roll in, bringing us three days of rain and cold weather, followed by a single sunny day just thrown in to tease us, and then the next morning you wake up to more gray skies. The local news euphamistically calls these "unsettled" weather patterns. Whatever you call it, it's really starting to piss me off. It feels like Spring will never come.

Of course the water is good for agriculture, which has been suffering through a drought in recent years, and on the rare occasion when the sun does come out it is wonderful to see the hills around Reno, normally dry and brown, now sporting a brilliant shade of green. But the truth is, I'm tired of waiting. This is May. The second week of May. According to the calendar Spring started over SIX WEEKS AGO!

In the end it isn't the rain that I mind, or the chilly temperatures. It's the gray skies. Waking up to day after day, month after month of drizzly, sunless skies is one of the things that made me glad to leave the state of Washington two years ago. This year, I have the horrible feeling that the weather from the Pacific Northwest has somehow finally managed to hunt me down.

The weather forecasts say that we will have two more days of this "unsettled" weather, followed by a transitional day on Wednesday, then sunny skies and temperatures in the 70's, where they should be this time of year. If true, this will be such a relief. Part of me just want's to sleep until Thursday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about cloudy and gray. Alabama's spring has been on the cold and rainy side. For the past week, however, we haven't had any rain --and things are drying up-- but it's just nice to be out in the sunshine, hear the bird chirping, etc. Speaking of birds, I wonder if you remember the little statue that my mother had next to their front door in Plum Grove. The little child holding a bird in his hand? I call it Baby St. Francis, but she named it Patrick because she got it shortly after you were born. Somewhere along the line, its head got knocked off, but I found some adhesive for cement and glued it back on. This little statue is for you to keep as a remembrance of my parents. I am not giving it to you now, just someday. It weighs about 30-40 lbs, so I am not going to ship it to you. We'll worry about that later. --mombo

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home