The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

"Red's" Wal

The venerable Reno institution the Little Waldorf Saloon (known by anyone who has lived in Reno longer than five minutes as "the Little Wal" or just "the Wal") has been sold to new owners. I'm really, really hoping this isn't yet another case of someone attempting to fix something that ain't broke. The new owners, who also own Red's 395 Grill down in Carson City, are trying to calm a potentially hostile public by telling them that no one is going to take their beloved Wal away. But some of their quotes aren't making me too comfortable. From the RGJ story:

The company has already started renovating the property with a new wood-log facade and improvements to the bar's interior that includes hanging more of the historic photos and memorabilia that already decorate the walls.

I don't know about this. A wood-log fascade? Sounds too precious by half. It's not like they're converting an old IHOP or something, this is the Wal, Reno's legendary college bar. Everyone who went to the University of Nevada has a story about the Wal.

So already I've got my doubts, but then I read this:

The bar and restaurant will focus on a lunch crowd from surrounding businesses and the university, a mix of college students and an older crowd during happy hour, and college students past 9 p.m., Schloss (Director of Operations for new owners SES Nevada LLC) said.

Sounds frighteningly like they're going to turn it into an Applebee's. And the new name, "Red's Little Waldorf Saloon", doesn't inspire me with confidence either (although everyone's just going to continue calling it "the Wal", so I guess it doesn't really matter).

The Wal has changed onwers before and yet has survived in one form or another for eighty years, so I'll wait to reserve judgment until I see how extensive the changes are. I'm sure things will be fine in the end, but the new owners better watch their step. No one likes it when someone messes with an institution.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

The wal was already completely broken. When Sparky's took it over, they lost all respect for the Wal's tradition. The food was pretty lame, they blew off a few university relationships that kept alumni coming back, and pretty much turned it corporate from a very small, privately-owned operation. I welcome the fact that Sparky's is out of there, and I'm not sure anything Red's can do will make it worse. Famous last words, I guess.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont get it....granted, Ive only been once but, well, i just dont get the appeal. Maybe now I wont have to.

7:14 PM  
Blogger sugafree9 said...

The Wall is old school. My dad used to get all wasted there...(not really there, but at it's old location) But it was THE bar for the University Students. Whatever it is they do, it won't be worse than those guys who tore it up in the mid 90's and tried to make it Night at the Roxbury. We've seen it at it's worst, we've been pissed before. Things were almost set right...

No worries until we see it.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Housekeeper said...

I agree with mrjerz, it can't be any worse then the crap that Sparky's pulled.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have any of you people been to Red's in Carson? I think will dispell any fear people may have. They run a tight ship and have great food. Red's is a "quality first" company, which stands in start contrast to the Sparky's mentality.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home