The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Movin' To The 'Burbs

It seems like forever since I've posted, even though it's only been about three days. It isn't that I haven't been writing anything--I've actually written two long posts in the last couple of days, one about the desperate pander that is the now-defeated gay marriage amendment and the other about the fact that this summer is the ten-year anniversary of my formative summer in Yellowstone. But when I went back and read them both, neither one really seemed that inspired. What can I say about the amendment/giant suck up to the Rapture Right that hasn't already been said? And as for Yellowstone, honestly, who wants to once again wade through paragraph after paragraph of me waxing poetic about pine trees? If you need more of that sort of thing, see the previous post.

Truth is, I've been too busy lately to really focus on blogging the way I'd like to. In addition to my job, which has been busier than usual of late, I've also been doing my best to help with planning our wedding (although as a man, my role in this seems to consist of doing my best to maintain supportiveness and forced cheer despite having no real understanding of what's going on--kind of like childbirth) and working with several other projects. But I've got one really big life-changing event coming up next week that's been monopolizing much of my time lately.

I wasn't going to say anything about this until it was a done deal--don't want to jinx it--but I might as well let the cat out of the bag. The inevitable has happened: I've sold the Fortress of Solitude. In anticipation of getting married and perhaps one day starting a family (BUT NOT YET! Don't have a heart attack, mom and dad) I'm buying a house in the North Valleys. I won't specify an actual address, or even a specific Valley, but here's what the new Fortress of Solitude (now not-so-solitary) looks like:

Cool Xeriscaping, huh? Yes, The Adventures of Yukon Sully is leaving downtown Reno, the place that has been the heart of the blog since it's inception. I'm pretty excited about this--I've never owned an actual house before--but not everyone sees this as a good move. When I told a friend of mine what I was doing, she shook her head and said "that's what always happens--people get married and then move to the 'burbs." Another friend was even more blunt when he told me "If you buy a mini-van, I'm kicking you in the balls."

Anyway, to whatever readership I have out there, please forgive my lack of attention lately. Real life has been intruding just a bit more than usual. Hopefully, when things settle down in the next few weeks we'll be back to the pithy tirades.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats it, you're exiled. What not a bigger condo? No, really, congratulations--it just means more your building will lose one of its few remaining members that can walk without assistance. Oh, that was bad wasnt it? Sorry.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sully,

Out of curiosity, what made you move out north?

The one big reason I ask is because of the traffic...

Maybe I'm just partial to Fernley, but I believe that I could still get to my work (downtown) before you would during morning rush hour...

Otherwise...congrats on the new house! I expect we will see some pictures with moving boxes everywhere, right?!? :P

Take care!

-David

10:00 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

We actually looked at Fernley; it's just too damn far away. We looked at some very nice houses there, but we couldn't commute from any of them in much under 40 minutes. I've tried it a few times, and our new commute takes us both about 20 minutes.

11:01 AM  
Blogger sugafree9 said...

No need to apologize for lack of blog upkeep. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who lets life get in the way of blogging.

As far as your move to the "burbs", I say you should have moved to a house within what's known as Reno. Old Reno, you know.. If it's not too late, get another house.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, at least you won't have a lot of grass to cut

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be live blogging the sniper incident like they do on wonkette. You're probably trapped in your office anyway. I hope all is well and that I can get home tonight!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Good call Mynx--stay tuned.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, am currently still in lock down.

I sure hope they clear it up in an hour :P

Be safe...

-David

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home