The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Embrace The Cold

An early-season cold snap has gripped Reno for the last few days. High temperatures are only creeping up into the thirties this week, giving the end of November the feel of mid Winter rather than late Fall. Today is one of those crisp, dazzling days we get around here sometimes, with fresh snow on the mountains and nary a cloud in the sky. And cold. Very, very cold.

As in most cold-climate regions, complaining about the chilly weather is a common pass time in Reno from, say, November through March. When I arrived for work early this morning I must have overheard half a dozen conversations about how tired people are of this weather (even though the weather for most of this Autumn has been fantastic), how troublesome winter clothes are, how it's time to move to Yuma, etc., etc.

I understand the dislike that most people have for cold weather--we are, by nature, warm weather creatures and couldn't even live in colder climates without the intelligence to develop strategies that help us cope with harsh winter weather. That being said, I get more aggravated at the constant complaining about the cold than I do at the cold itself.

Reno is cold for much of the year (although not nearly as cold as, say, the upper Midwest or the northern Rockies). That's just a fact of life. I'm not saying you can't grumble a little on a chilly day now and then, but I am saying that at some point you either accept the circumstances for what they are, or you move and leave more room here in God's Country for the rest of us.

Personally, I like Winter. I like the way the pace of life slows down. I like hiking in the snow. I like having a beer and a bowl of chili at Timbers on Mount Rose after snowboarding all morning. I like a warm fire or an outdoor hot tub at the end of the day. Basically, I feel like you have two choices if you live around here; you either embrace the cold during the Wintertime, or you stay miserable until April. I choose the former. Trust me, it's a lot more fun than complaining for five straight months.

Oh, by the way, Melissa and I have decided that we're going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. What can I say, even people who embrace the cold need a little variety now and then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are picking an out-of-the-way place like Costa Rica for your honeymoon! Didn't we know someone who honeymooned in Nepal and went mountain climbing?? Cool!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home