The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Don't Blame the Zebras

I'm about 1000 miles from Seattle, but I can hear the shouts of "we was robbed" from here.

Look, I was pulling for Seattle and 'Bama's Shaun Alexander, and I was disappointed that they lost. But please, Seattle fans, keep your dignity and don't blame the officials.

Yes, Seattle was victimized by several VERY questionable calls; one touchdown was called back on a very ticky-tack offensive pass interference call, another Seattle drive was snuffed out when a first-and-goal at the one was called back on a phantom holding call that was followed by an interception, and Pittsburgh's first touchdown, scored on a Roethlisberger 3rd down scramble, may or may not have broken the plane of the end-zone. But those things will happen. Officials are human and will always blow a few calls.

Besides, it wasn't just the refs who caused Seattle to end the first half (a half that they statistically dominated, by the way) with only three points. It wasn't the refs who caused dropped passes and catches out-of-bounds. It wasn't the refs who allowed Pittsburgh to score on the longest TD play in Superbowl history and then again on a trick play that everyone at the Superbowl party I was at saw coming. And most importantly, it certainly wasn't the refs who caused the Seahawk offense to go completely braindead in the clock-management department at both the end of the first half and the end of the game.

So how were the commercials? Not so great, really. If I had to pick the best of the bunch I'd just fall back on my old standby and go with the careerbuilder.com monkeys. Monkeys dancing to "Cum on feel the Noise"? That's gold. And the chimp in the suit lighting a cigar with a flaming dollar bill? Awesome. It's an ancient rule of comedy, but it still holds true: Monkeys = funny.

7 Comments:

Blogger Housekeeper said...

I was totally into reading your post when I was stopped dead in my tracks by the phrase "ticky-tack". My husband uses it all the time, and then during half time Steve Young said it, and now you...is this men lingo taught in HS locker rooms. Is it code for the location of a secret men's club...enlighten me.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

I guess I missed Steve Young saying that. It was probably said during one of those down-moments when we were forced to turn to--and this is no lie--The Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet. A bunch of puppies running around on a tiny football field; funny for about three seconds. But Melissa loved it so I shouldn't make fun. The only thing I remember about halftime of the Superbowl was thinking 'Dear GOD the Rolling Stones are old!'

I'm not sure if it's an expression that's picked up in locker rooms or not. Probably in a locker room you'd use more colorful and descriptive language, I think. "Ticky-tack" is more appropriate for mixed company.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

I get that there will be bad calls, but I can't remember a game where FOUR (you missed the invention of the rule about tackling below the waist, good for 15 yards) game-changing calls were all made in the same direction. And I had no rooting interest in the game (I hate both teams equally as a Raider fan). It just sucks to see officials have an impact in any way on a game, especially one where a trophy is handed out.

You watched the "Puppy Bowl?" Please, oh please make some fun of it. It just sounds silly.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Make fun of puppies? I would, but . . . ever heard the expression "there are some things even lawyers won't do"?

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I got over their losing. They made it there didn't they? As a True Hawks fan, you have to be proud of that. I agree with your view on the commercials, the marketing pretty much lacks creativity.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm not a huge fan, but did play football about a hundred years ago. Just how much does an NFL pro get paid to drop a pass that hits him in the hands?

Most high school linemen would be on the bench if they jumped offside twice on crucial plays.

I thought the game looked more like the bottom half of the PAC 10 than the best of the NFL.

That said, I did win $ 30. (Shoulda bet more)

JD

4:30 PM  
Blogger sugafree9 said...

I thought it was a boring superbowl that was sloppy. I kept changing the channel during the commercials to FBI Files on A&E, or sometimes I'd watch Antique Roadshow. It was very difficult not to change the channel at times. But that would be rude to the guests.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home