The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Time Is Growing Short

I have only two days left at my current job, and I'll be starting my new position on Tuesday, right after the long weekend. I haven't quite reached the "what are they gonna do, fire me?" stage of not caring about the job that I'm leaving (in fact, I still feel rather guilty about leaving the position about 10 weeks early) but I do find it harder and harder to concentrate. The fact that the weather is finally turned glorious doesn't help.

By coincidence, only one other person in my five-person department is going to be around these next two days--the other three are either on vacation or getting an early jump on the Memorial Day weekend. This is actually fine with me, as I've never really mastered that whole 'saying goodbye when you leave a job' thing. I'm never really sure just how emotional you're supposed to be. I like all of the people I work with, but it's not like I'm moving to Antarctica or anything. My new job is a block away. Honestly, it's not that I want to be rude, but I'd just as soon avoid the whole awkward thing altogether.

As for that new job, I'm excited but extremely nervous. Being a prosecutor is an honorable pursuit, but I know from experience that it's also stressful and can burn you out pretty quickly if you're not careful. It's somewhat counterintuitive, but the job can be even more difficult for those prosecuting misdemeanors, as I will be doing. It's easy to get people to feel concerned about major crimes like murder or rape or arson--it's harder than you might think to get people to take lesser crimes seriously. But I feel like I'm going in with the right attitude. I know there will be days when things will get terribly frustrating, but I'm going in knowing what to expect and as long as I keep my eyes on my long-term goals, things should be okay.

In honor of this new job, I'm going to do something tonight that I haven't done in years--I'm actually going to buy a new business suit. I've budgeted enough money for one, or maybe two if I find a good deal. This will bring my functional total of business suits up to a whopping total of three.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you need some suits. And shoes. You would be surprised how shoddy a guy will look if the suit is okay but the shoes are worn; or to put it another way, spiffy polished shoes always add to the outfit.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home