The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Images From Baja Sur, Part 3 - Baja With A Vengeance

Okay, last of the Baja posts.

I simply have to include this picture:

It's a shot of a sea lion colony near the Arch at Land's End. While it's a nice enough picture, there's nothing particularly compelling about the shot itself except for the fact that according to Melissa I almost died getting it. As we swung close to the sea lion colony in our little water taxi I scrambled onto the bow of the boat with my camera to get as close a shot as possible. Just as I took this picture an unexpected wave broke on our starboard side and knocked me off my feet onto the side of the boat. Melissa says I was almost thrown into the churning water that was crashing up against the rocks. I think she exaggerates just a bit. The bottom line is, I held on to the camera. Here's another shot that gives you some perspective on the colony.

And while we're at it, here are a few more shots taken during the water tour of Finisterra.


Our guide told us that the pointed rock sticking straight up out of the sea in the first of these last three pictures is supposed to resemble a map of Baja when viewed from a certain angle. I don't see it, but it is a very striking feature. The cave in the middle picture is called Pirate's Cave, which is appropriate since this remote part of Mexico was a well-known haunt of pirates for many many years. And I think the last shot, the one of me and Melissa on the boat in front of the Arch, is my favorite of the whole bunch. I think this one sums up the whole trip pretty well.

Baja Sur and Cabo San Lucas is a truly remarkable place. If at all possible, I'm going to find a way to go back there someday.

2 Comments:

Blogger sugafree9 said...

Did you hit "The Giggling Marlin" while you were down there?

12:42 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Actually yes, but just long enough to take a picture and be harassed by the "Information" guy.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home