The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

MALL DAY!!!!

It's finally here. The day that promoters and local media have been building up for months.

Yes, at long last Summit Sierra, Reno's giganto new outdoor mall, opens today. Or most of it, anyway. Dillards has been open for a few days now, and twenty or twenty-five of the total 63 stores won't be open for some time and some aren't even built yet. Most disappointing to me is the fact that Orvis is still listed in the Coming Soon category, and please don't get Melissa started on the fact that Reno is still (still!!!) without a Limited. Nevertheless, to hear people talk around town you would think this was the biggest thing to happen in the Truckee Meadows since,....well, ever.

Talking to one of my co-workers yesterday, I was surprised to find out that she finds the whole thing kind of embarrassing. She thinks the fact that so many people are going ga-ga over the fact that we actually have a Dillard's now to be a reflection on how much of a hick town this still is. I sort of see her point (I've never been a big fan of celebrating rampant consumerism, even if it does involve fly fishing), but for all the hype and silliness surrounding this event, for all the problems that yet another large development will cause in overbuilt and bursting-at-the-seams south Reno neighborhoods, I do see this as a significant step forward for our little white-trash mountain town. More of this sort of thing and people may actually start thinking about Reno for something besides blowing a ton of money at a smoky craps table or getting married at a drive-thru.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I love craps. I think the whole thing is hilarious as well but mostly because I can't stand shopping and they aren't opening anything I am more intesested in than anything else we already have in Reno. I guess its true what they say, once you have a Dillard, you have it made.

Well, okay, I dont know who says that but still.

The one aspect that appeals to people like me is that you can park fairly close to where you want to go and dont have to run halfway through the whole mall just to go to one store for one thing. Did I say I hate shopping? Did I say I hate malls?

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I love craps. I think the whole thing is hilarious as well but mostly because I can't stand shopping and they aren't opening anything I am more intesested in than anything else we already have in Reno. I guess its true what they say, once you have a Dillard, you have it made.

Well, okay, I dont know who says that but still.

The one aspect that appeals to people like me is that you can park fairly close to where you want to go and dont have to run halfway through the whole mall just to go to one store for one thing. Did I say I hate shopping? Did I say I hate malls?

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

duh, can I post one more time Blogger? Do ya think?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Yeah, I kinda hate malls too. But I think this will be good for Reno over all.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't repeat yourself, Myrna. It's redundant, repetetive and too wordy, too. (it's a JOKE)

So Sully, what are you going to do when Cabelas opens in Verdi?

JD

(I guess it would have to be funny to be a joke)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Oddly enough, I've never been to a Cabela's. I'm sure it'll be nice.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

Dude, Myrna, I figured you'd be into this, if nt Sully. Actually I figured Sully wouldn't, as a lawyer and all. APPLE STORE. Even if you're not into Macs, it is such a cool place to hang out. And MACS!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing that I don't like about malls is that all of the clothes look the same. You have to be into "what's in style" or you can't find anything else. Also, most of the stores seem to cater to the teens and twenty-somethings, those people who spend a lot of time and money buying clothes, CD's, video games. There is precious little individualism in malls. You can go to one in Kansas City, LA, Cleveland, or Atlanta and find the same stores everywhere, selling the same things. I guess that's not surprising, since so many stores are owned by the same company.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I work on organizing Orvis’ Grand Opening in Reno, NV. When I saw your disappointment because our store is still advertised under a “Coming Soon” message, I couldn’t help myself but write you something back to uplift your spirits.
I know how you feel; I’m another Orvis fan.
Our grand opening is taking place on the weekend starting Apr-7th. Stop by for some limited freebies and/or enjoy our fun activities throughout the day.
Hopefully, we’ll see you there!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Housekeeper said...

We used to have a Limited at Meadowood, but I guessed it closed...shows how much I pay attention. Also, if you think the mall is getting a lot of hoop-la, you should have seen when Krispy Kreme opened...I think the Galena Marching Band was there.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home