The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

Melissa's younger sister Kelly is visiting from St. Louis, and since this holiday is only the second time since we've known each other that Melissa and I have managed to get the same day off, I suggested a trip to Nevada City, one of those "so quaint you could just choke" old gold mining towns on the western side of the mountains.

Nevada City is quite beautiful, built in a small corner of the Sierra foothills and full of century-and-a-half old brick buildings and restored Victorian homes that have been turned into restaurants, art galleries, and other such businesses. It's mix of the sleepily pastoral and moneyed sophistication appeals to visitors from bigger cities like Sacramento and San Fran. It's the sort of place where stressed-out professionals step out of their cars, look around at the stately buildings surrounded by green hills and think to themselves "this is the life; I should move here."

I had wanted to visit a couple of wineries while on the other side of the hill, but the foothill vineyards can be fairly well spread out and travel on windy mountain road can be slow. The only vineyard we were able to visit was Double Oak, a literal Mom-and-Pop operation who's mailing address is in Nevada City, but which requires at least twenty minutes of driving on twisty back roads to reach. After talking with the owners, I found out that they had bought the land upon which the vineyard is located in the late 1960's as they were part of what was referred to as a "back to the land movement." Apparently they had no intention of opening a commercial vineyard for many years, and ultimately sort of fell in to oenology by happenstance in the early 80's. California is the sort of wonderful place where this sort of thing can happen. In a rich and bountiful landscape like this people can still dream, and with a little luck still make their dreams real.

I really hope Kelly enjoyed herself. As well as I have come to know Melissa, this is the first time I have met one of her family members. Kelly is only 21 years old, and has an endless supply of energy and enthusiasm. I just hope she doesn't find me too boring or obnoxious.

I made the mistake of suggesting that we return to Reno through Downieville and the Sierra Valley. This route didn't look much further on the map, but it ended up taking almost three hours, nearly twice as long as the trip to Nevada City. I say it was a mistake, but actually, I enjoyed the drive immensely. Most of the trip takes place up the gorgeous middle fork of the Yuba River, a slashing, roiling mass of whitewater if there ever was one. Right now the River is at its peak, flush with snowmelt, and the long drive up through the Grey Pine and Cedar trees of the northern mountains was like a stroll through paradise for me.

We shortened the trip by leaving the main highway in Downieville and passing by the Sierra Buttes through the Gold Lakes region.

This is what the Sierra Buttes look like in mid-summer. Right now their crevices are still full of snow, which make them look all the more majestic, like pocket-sized Alps. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture when we passed by.

By the time we got home we were all too tired to contemplate dinner, so I said goodbye to Melissa and Kelly and came home to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is my first day at my new job, and I want to be well rested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home