The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Oh Give Me A Home...


Several people have written to me after being surprised that one of the items on my 100 Things About Me list includes the fact that I want to raise bison. What can I say, it's a strange dream, but it's my dream. Bison are strong, hearty animals who tolerate extreme heat and cold much better than cattle. They evolved here in North America and are much more beneficial to the environment than are cows. Their meat is lean and healthier than beef. Plus, something about helping to restore them to their former domain just sort of feels right--it's hard to imagine any living creature looking more at home on the mountains and prairies of the West. The only advantage that cattle have over bison is the fact that they are much more docile and easily controlled. No matter how tame they may appear, all bison are still basically wild animals. Read Dan O'Brien's excellent book Buffalo For The Broken Heart if you want to know more.

I once met a man who wanted to sell me a smallish Buffalo ranch near Adin, California called the Mantutocheega. It was beautiful beyond description and was probably worth at least a couple million dollars. The picture above was taken there. I was tempted to take him up on his offer to sell it to me on contract, but reason got the better of me. Still, the dream lives. A place like the Mantutocheega will be mine one day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, bison are majestic. But I think that grapes would be easier to control. You never hear of someone being trampled by a herd of grapes. Dreams are good. We wouldn't be anywhere if it weren't for dreamers.
Speaking of dreamers, you should check out pictures of Millenium Park in Chicago. Outdoor amphitheater designed by Frank Gehry. Amazing.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home