The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Why Don't These Guys Get Real Jobs?

I just had the most bizarre stroll down memory lane.

I don't know if any of you have ever run into the White Van scammers. They're a bunch of scummy guys, usually wearing trendy clothes, speaking So-Cal "brah" speak and about as subtle as rabid pitbulls. They drive around in these unmarked white vans pretending to be delivery guys or audio-speaker sales reps. If they see a guy who is young or youngish and looks like he might have money they'll approach him in a parking lot or at an intersection. It's always the same story--they have these speakers, see? They were shipped too many of them, or maybe they were supposed to install them but the buyer changed his mind, whatever. Anyway the bottom line is they just need to get rid of these things before heading back to the warehouse. Normally they're worth $1499--you want to buy them for $400? Oh c'mon, how about $350? There's an ATM around the corner, I'll just follow you there. You'd be an idiot to turn down a deal like this, brah!

Of course once you buy, you find out these supposedly "top of the line" speakers are cheaply manufactured crap, but how do you get a refund from some guy in an unmarked van? Check out Scam Shield's info on these guys to learn more.

I was approached by these guys while I was a law student in Spokane. This was over FIVE YEARS AGO! The story was exactly as related above--walking through a parking lot, a guy in a white van flags me down, he needs to get rid of these speakers, blah blah blah. I had heard of the scam and told him to go do something that is anatomically and physiologically impossible. He only got louder and more aggressive, so I just walked away.

Just today at lunch, it happened again here in Reno. It wasn't just an eerily similar occurrence, it was the EXACT SAME SCRIPT!!! Same unmarked white van, same come-on, even the "brah" himself looked sort of similar to the guy I ran into in Spokane all those years ago. I guess I look like as much of a sucker today as I did back then.

I'm dumbfounded. How can these a-holes still be getting away with this? And for God's sake, WHY DON'T THEY GET REAL JOBS?!?!?!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a young girl ring my doorbell several years ago. She was a frozen meat vendor, and she and her husband tried to deliver an order to someone who decided to back out of the deal. So now they had all this frozen meat and chicken in coolers in their truck and rather than drive all the way back to the warehouse, they just wanted to get rid of the stuff. They showed me lots of frozen items but it was an "all or nothing" deal and they were asking around $100. They feed you the line, "you look like such a nice person, what a great deal this is, etc." That's when you get really suspicious.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Freddie said...

There's actually a band called 'White Van Speaker Scam' here in Toronto because that scam is so notorious. When I worked in a music store I was considered a pro audio expert (although I am now much more adept, but won't get into that) and had a customer bring in a pair of these bargain speakers to see what I thought of them. I hooked them up and they sounded like the garbage they were, and upon further inspection the components were labeled in some Asian language. I said I was sorry but he got ripped off, not because they were made in Asia, but because they were not made to be high enough quality for North American markets as they were not labeled in English.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home