The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Back At Last

The Conference has been really interesting. Lots of good information on prosecuting stalking cases, cyber-crime, trial techniques for dealing with reluctant or recanting victims, and strategies for managing that horrible case-from-hell Crawford v. Washington (Thanks again, Justice Scalia!!!!).

But no one's interested in me talking shop, so I'll mention some other news: It turns out I'm 23% gay. That sounds like kind of a lot to me but it actually puts me in the "too straight" category according to the website that I got the test from. Apparently women today are into men who are more effeminate than me. Well it's their loss, believe me. Props to Housekeeper for tipping me off to yet another incredibly useful self-test out there on the internets. How on earth did people ever learn anything about themselves before Al Gore invented them?

And this really has nothing to do with anything, but I was shocked and appalled today to find out that my happy little neighborhood is getting a Starbucks. It's going to be right up the street at 5th and Nevada. It was inevitable, I suppose; downtown Reno is actually becoming a pretty cool place to live, a unique area full of energy and vitality and creativity. That sort of thing screams out to those corporate bastards like a million nails scraping on a million chalkboards. They just can't sleep at night until they've found a way to destroy it through homogeneousness.

Of course, I hate myself for this, but I must admit that a small voice at the back of my mind does keep saying "yeah, but it will be good for my condo's value." God help me--I really am turning into The Man.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you would much prefer a Mom and Pop coffee shop near your building, but Starbucks does have some good drinks. Cheer up, it could be a McDonald's.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

You're right about the McDonald's. The thing that gets me is that we already have a couple of really nice locally-owned coffee shops in the neighborhood: Java Jungle on First and Dreamer's Coffee Shop in the Artists' Loft Building up on Virginia. And if anyone really NEEDS Starbucks' crappy coffee and phony atmosphere they can just drive up to the one on Virginia near Cal Ave, which is less than five minutes away.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Housekeeper said...

I live walking distance from Walden’s and love it, in fact all the shops in Mayberry Landing pretty much kick ass. I was really disappointed when they put that Starbucks in at Virginia/California mainly because it is a cool building, I would have preferred that it was occupied by a local merchant or if it was going to corporate coffee maybe a Peets.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home