The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Evil Empire Strikes Again

I was minding my own business yesterday, heading to the ShopKo up on McCarran and Mae Anne to pick up a couple of small items. This ShopKo, which has been there since I moved to the area in 2001 (and probably long before that) is just across the street from a brand new, gigantic (say it with me kids) Wal-Mart that went in a couple of years ago. I continue to go to this ShopKo for items that I cannot find at local businesses in my neighborhood specifically because it is NOT Wal-Mart. Yes, it is still a Big Box store, but not THE Big Box store, so my conscience is eased a bit.

You can image what a terrible sinking feeling I had when I saw the hand-drawn sign on the door that said something to the effect of "After November 11 there will be no refund policy no items sold from this store."

I spoke to the cashier and yep, you guessed it: They're going out of business. No one would officially say why, and no one seemed to know what was going to become of the building itself (another Wal-Mart, perhaps?) but naturally I have my suspicions as to what is behind this development. I suppose I'm assuming a lot, but honestly I don't really have any doubt that this store would not be going out of business if it weren't for the Beast from Bentonville next door.

Seriously Wal-Mart, what do you want? When will you be happy? When no one is able to buy anything for any purpose unless they do it at a Wal-Mart? When the entire population of this country is divided up into Wal-Mart stockholders and wage-slave Wal-Mart "associates" who spend their lives hovering around the poverty line? When you are allowed to rename the whole planet in your own honor?

Oh well. At least we've still got Costco.

2 Comments:

Blogger Housekeeper said...

I live by Mayberry and McCarran and will drive Reno's version of "acrosstown" to Target just to avoid going to Wal-mart.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been going to Wal-Mart for years simply because it is cheap. There are a lot of stores that are closer. It seems, though, that I always end up with one or two items on my list that they are out of, so I have to go to another store anyway. There is a Target very close to my house, and it is such a pleasure shopping in a store that is immaculate and not full of crowds that clog the aisles, Why do the customers in WalMart run into people they know and stand right in front of the items you want and talk for 15 minutes? It's like playing dodge-ball any time you go in WalMart, day or night. Even the parking lot is filthy and you have to park half a mile away from the door. Yes, I hate WalMart, too, and am beginning to use other stores. We had a small TG & Y dimestore near our house in San Antonio, and no matter what it was that you wanted, they always had it. Of course, it closed.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home