The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Monday, October 31, 2005

Eternal Darkness; Well That's Just Great

Not much time to blog today, but I just have to ask one question--when is this time-changing idiocy going to end?

We have now entered that lovely time of year when even on the occasions when I get to leave the office at 5 p.m., I am still walking home in darkness. What could be more depressing than getting off work and having it already feel like the middle of the night? It starts to feel like the sun is just a distant memory, like we're all living in the land of eternal night.

Ask most people why we switch time and they will have no idea. A few will say something like "I think it's for the farmers" or "Wasn't it done for World War II?" Well the truth is, I know and work with several farmers, and they all dislike the time change as much as the rest of us do. And although my history is a little hazy, I'm pretty sure the Japanese surrendered some time around the mid-1940's. So why do we still do this silly time change?

There are camps made up of those that wish to end Daylight Saving Time altogether, and those who, like me, would rather see Daylight Saving Time expanded year-round so that we can all enjoy at least a little bit of sunlight at the end of the day during the winter months. Honestly, I think we're both really on the same side, and that the difference is really one of aesthetics; do you want an earlier sunrise or daylight in the evening? Deep down, I think what bothers all of us is the arbitrariness of the whole thing--we do it just because we're told to, even thought there's no real reason for it. The bottom line is, it's a pointless hastle. When I run the world (soon, my pretties, very soon) we are going to set the clocks running and then leave them alone. Anyone who objects will be subject to summary execution by being run over by a sleep-deprived school bus driver.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we lived in Minnesota, I would go to work in the winter and it would still be dark, because I had to be there very early. And when I left 10 hours later, it was dark again. For days, I never saw the sun or any light in the sky because I worked in a lab that had no windows. Hated it. We should just leave the clocks alone.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home