The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Job

I like to make it a policy on this site never to talk about what goes on at my job or to mention where exactly I work, other than to say I'm a lawyer and have a lot of contact with the criminal justice system. I do this because a) as a lawyer I have a lot of confidentiality issues to worry about, and b) I really don't want a lot of the crap that I blog about coming back to haunt me someday. But I find not discussing work to be very challenging. I don't keep up this blog under any illusion that it's great art or that it's changing the world in any significant way, or that I'll ever actually make any money doing this sort of thing (although I have to ask, would it KILL you people to click on the Google Ads once in a while? I get paid for that, you know). I do it for the same reason that every other blogger does it--because we have to. It's a creative outlet, our own voice crying out in the wilderness, a cheap therapy session whenever you want it. It can be wonderful, but the fact that the primary purpose of this blog is to provide me a pressure release makes it very difficult not to discuss specifics about work, since work is so much a part of who most of us are.

One thing I can say about my job is that, like a lot of jobs for attorneys, it can be the world's most brutal roller coaster ride. I guess this is because my job involves so much work in open court which is, by definition, working in public. No matter what you've accomplished in the past, it's hard to escape that feeling that you're only as good as your work on the case you just finished. Because of this, some days you will feel like you're hanging by the thinnest of threads and can't possibly make it to the end of the week, and the next day you feel unstoppable, like a child of destiny ready to take on the whole world.

Today was one of my good days, one of those "child of destiny" days. I wish I could give you the details, but suffice it to say that this is one of those days when I feel like I'm really doing some good in this city. Tomorrow things can (and probably will) feel completely different, but in a career like mine the only way to handle the tough times is to savor the small triumphs. It's frustrating beyond belief sometimes that I can't use this space, my personal outlet, to talk about the aspects of my job that are so important to me. But I am secure in telling you that I think I made a difference today, and that feels pretty good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

word up patrico! making the world a better place one day and one chicken wing at a time. hey, i have a question. what happened to melissa's dog on your reno weather update?

7:21 AM  
Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Daisy has a mind of her own. She comes and goes according to her own whim. If she's not there now, check back later and she'll be back.

8:30 AM  
Blogger sugafree9 said...

No shit dude. I will be totally vague with what I post about my work. I never get into specifics, and some days I want to name names and call everyone a jerk.

On a side note, but related in some off center kind of way, a good passive aggressive move is to misspell people's names in email, but on purpose. I don't know why but it makes you feel good. Kinda like going 30 in the 35...

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home