The Adventures of Yukon Sully

The Epic Story Of One Man's Quest To Find Fame, Fortune, And Some Decent Chicken Wings In The Biggest Little City In The World!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Yukon Sully is the heroic alter ego of a mild-mannered attorney who lives in a modest suburb on the outskirts of Reno, Nevada. He fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Always remember, he's much smarter than you are.

100 Things About Me

Friday, October 28, 2005

Happy Nevada Day


What a joy it can be to have a day off. Today is the official observance of Nevada Day, commemorating the day in 1864 that Nevada was admitted to the Union despite the then-raging American Civil War (this is why the state flag says "Battle Born"). For me, however, this is the first day in over two weeks that I haven't had to run around like a decapitated chicken trying to meet various work obligations. In celebration, I have spent most of the morning and early afternoon aimlessly wandering my neighborhood. Frankly, this is just what I needed.

It's definitely fall here in Reno; after a gloriously warm and sunny October the clouds have rolled in and the temperature has dropped, but it's still quite comfortable out and the fall foliage (to use my brother's least favorite phrase) is still out. This morning I walked up to California Avenue for absolutely no reason at all, and it was wonderful. I stopped in for a quick visit at the Nevada Museum of Art on Liberty Avenue, where they're showing a fantastic traveling exhibit featuring artifacts from the ancient Roman villas of Stabiano (see picture below). I browsed for way too long in Dharma Books on First Street where for only six dollars I picked up a copy of The Book of Yaak, a love letter to one of my favorite corners of Montana by the great nature writer Rick Bass. I popped into the lobby of the Century 12 Riverside movie theater and talked about movies for a while with the ticket-takers, who seemed happy for the distraction. I walked up the Truckee River, running low this time of year, and wandered into La Bussola, a quirky gift/art/knicknack/junk/whatever shop that really captures the eclectic spirit of this neighborhood. I talked to one of the owners about local art and nothing in particular until I was forced to move out of the way to allow her to deal with customers.

In short, I accomplished nothing of significance this morning other than catching my breath and clearing my head a little. A person just needs the occasional day like today, a day with nowhere to be and nowhere to go, just a chance to stroll and think and talk to people about whatever you feel like talking about and remember why you call this place home in the first place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you on that one, Yukon. Sometimes I like to drive up to Birmingham to browse through stores that Tuscaloosa doesn't have, and I usually end up in Barnes and Noble (yes, that huge corporate bookstore which also has Starbucks) and just soak in all the books. Once I drove all the way to Mobile to see the Nicholas and Alexandra exhibit from Russia. This exhibit had a little bit of everything, from a Faberge egg to a blood-spattered piece of wallpaper taken from the house where the family was finally executed.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Housekeeper said...

I haven't been to the art museum in a while and kick myself everytime I pass it. Happy to hear that you had an enjoyable Nevada Day, if you like cruising used books stores I would recommend Black and White off of Lakeside.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home